Scott started Salsbury & Salsbury, LPA with his partner, Sue Ellen Salsbury, in 2007 after being in private practice for 17 years. Both previously were partners at a large full service law firm based in Akron, Ohio. Scott's principal goals for the firm have always been, first, to continue to provide "big firm" service but at a small firm price; and second, to consistently provide practical advice achieving effective results.
Scott represents management in labor and employment law, healthcare law, and litigation. His labor practice includes collective bargaining negotiations, the defense of unfair labor practice charges, and grievance arbitrations. He represents and defends employers in hearings before the National Labor Relations Board.
Scott's employment practice involves representing employers before the U.S. Equal Employment Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission. He advises clients on a host of employment issues ranging from Wage and Hour, Pregnancy and Disability Discrimination, Medical Leave to Whistleblower Retaliation.
Scott's professional experience representing healthcare clients has involved a wide range of issues that include medical staff credentialing, peer review, resident discipline and HIPAA privacy regulations.
Scott has litigated in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout Ohio. He has tried to jury verdict cases involving areas of law ranging from defamation, tortuous interference with business relations, commercial paper, discrimination to retaliation. Scott has also tried bench trials and injunction actions involving issues that have included construction disputes, commercial real estate covenants, workers compensation retaliation, and non-compete agreements.
- Bar Admissions:
- Ohio, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2001
- The Ohio State University College of Law, 1987
Law Journal: Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
- Kent State University, 1984
Honors: Cum Laude
- Published Works:
- Clarity or Calamity? the NLRB Tries Again to Define Supervisors,
Cleveland Bar Association Monthly Magazine, March, 2007
Employee Use of Social Networking Sites,
The Academy Advocate, Issue 2, Volume 4, 2009
What’s the Prognosis for Change in Healthcare Labor Law?
Cleveland Metro Bar Association Monthly Magazine, March 2010
The NLRB Brings Change to Healthcare Employers
Cleveland Metro Bar Association Monthly Magazine, March 2012
- Representative Cases:
- Sokol v. Akron General Med. Center, 173 F.3d 1026 (6th Cir. 1999)
- Dietelbach v. Ohio Edison, 1 Fed. Appx. 435 (6th Cir 2001)
- Moore, M.D. v. Rubin, M.D., 2004 WL 2803237 (Ohio Court of Appeals 2004)
- Vrable III, Inc. and SEIU District 1199, 353 NLRB 102 (2009)
- Akron General Medical Center (2011), NLRB Case No. 08-UC-000412
- Snyder v. Embassy Healthcare, Inc. (2011), Lake Co. Court of Common Pleas Case No. 10 CV 002014
- Broadway Care Center and SEIU District 1199 (2012), Contract Arb. FMCS Case No. 11-56893-6
- Solis, U.S. Dep’t of Labor v. Altercare, Inc. (N.D. Ohio 2013), U.S. District Court Case No. 1:12-CV-1143
- AVRC and USW (2014), Discharge Arb. FMCS No. 14-00697-6
- Carter v. Hickory Healthcare, Inc. (N.D. Ohio 2014), 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 157947
- State, ex rel. Morley v. The Honorable Gene Zmuda, Ohio Supreme Court Case No. 2016-1161
- Channels, et al. v. Embassy Healthcare, Inc. U.S. Dist. Ct. N.D., Ohio Case No. 1:16-CV-01806-DCN (class action, 2016)
- Representative Clients:
- Akron General Medical Center
- Community Health Center
- Continuing Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
- Embassy Healthcare
- Foundations Health Solutions, Inc.
- Provider Services, Inc.
- TCMS Management, Inc.
- Borders Group
- Franklin Templeton Investments
- Modular Assembly Innovations
- Ohio National Financial Services
- Retail Brand Alliance
- SSP Fittings, Inc.
- Vertex Computer Systems, Inc.
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- The Labor & Employment Law Session, Ohio Health Care Association Annual Conference 2005-2007
- Remaining Union Free & the Employee Free Choice Act, Ohio Health Care Association Annual Conference, 2008
- Planning to Manage a Union Facility? Ohio Academy of Nursing Homes Fall Conference, 2009
- Remaining Union Free, American Health Care Association/NCAL 62nd Annual Convention 2010
- Pregnancy Discrimination: How to Reduce Your Risks, Ohio Provider Resource Association Fall Conference, 2011
- Prevent Emerging EEO Issues From Blooming into Thorny Lawsuits, Ohio Health Care Association Annual Convention, 2012
- Staying Union Free, Ohio Health Care Association Annual Conference, 2013
- Employee Labor Relations, Ohio Provider Resource Association Fall Conference, 2013
- Healthcare Wage & Hour Compliance, Ohio Provider Resource Association Spring Conference, 2014
- Fearless Whistleblower Risk Management, Ohio Society of Association Executives Annual Conference, 2014
- NLRB Initiatives Impacting Healthcare Employers, Ohio Council for Home Care & Hospice Annual Conference, 2014
- Weather the Whistleblower Tempest, Ohio Health Care Association Annual Conference, 2015
- Best Practices for Managing FMLA Leaves of Absence, Ohio Council for Home Care & Hospice Annual Conference 2015
- Wage and Hour Compliance for Healthcare Employers. Midwest Care Alliance Annual Conference, 2015
- Conducting an Effective Workplace Investigation, LeadingAge Ohio Annual Conference, 2016
- Honors and Awards:
- OSBA Certified Specialist Labor and Employment Law
- Martindale-Hubbell Rated AV-Preeminent
- Super Lawyers, 2006-2007, 2009-2013, 2016
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Health Lawyers Association, 2000 - Present
- Ohio Health Care Association, 2007 - Present
- Past Employment Positions:
- Ohio Court of Appeals, Sixth District, Judicial Law Clerk, 1987 - 1989
- United States District Court, E.D. Tennessee, Judicial Law Clerk, 1989 - 1990
- Roetzel & Andress, Associate Attorney, 1990 - 1999
- Roetzel & Andress, Partner, 2000 - 2004
- Pro Bono Activities:
- President - Mobile Meals, Inc., 2009 - 2011